Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hockey and Knitting

Every Tuesday night is the night our Junior C team plays their home game. Last year Jeff decided that we should become fans so we started attending. At that point our team was already in the playoffs so there was mucho excitement. I'm not much for watching Hockey Night in Canada, too many bad memories of my dad yelling at us to be quiet during the game and memories of having to crawl under the tv so he wouldn't get mad at us for blocking the screen. He's a hardcore Canadian. But something in the Canadian comes out in me when I go to an arena. I feel the excitement. I feel like I'm part of the community even though I may only know a few people. I actually even think some night I might get lucky and win the fifty/fifty draw. This year I've been trying to take my knitting with me. Of course I can not knit while they are playing but between periods I can. The first time I tried it however it failed terribly. I wore my leather jacket and the sleeves kept catching my needles. Not a good effort at all. Now it's cold enough for my winter coat which sleeves don't gap as much. I was knitting away before the game started and had to jump up to let another couple pass. As I tried to move my pointy needles to a safe point where I wouldn't poke anyone the woman smiled and said I should have brought my knitting too. Then at the break after the first period, as hubby was relaxing with his feet resting on the seat in front of him, and holding my yarn in his lab, I looked up and to the right where te window to the heated bar area is and there was this woman watching me and smiling as I knit. Then I felt a bit self conscious about my technique but I still figure I could possible convert a large portion of that crowd into bringing their knitting to the game. What do you think?

No comments: